Spirit of Piolets d'Or
The purpose of the Piolets d'Or awards is to raise awareness about the year's greatest ascents across the world. They aim to celebrate the taste for adventure, the bravery and sense of exploration that lie behind the art of climbing in the world's great mountain ranges.
The Piolets d'Or draw thein inspiration from mountaineering's rich history. They are celebration of a sense of partnership and solidarity, of shared experiences, and reward individua lor collective achievement.
In modern mountaineering, questions of style and means of ascent také precedence over reaching the objektive itself. I tis no longer a matter of employing huge financial and technical resources (bottled oxygen, fixed ropes, high-altitude porters, so-called „performance-enhancing“ substances…) and large numbers of people to reach the top at all cosi. The Piolets d'Or throw the spotlight on imaginative and innovative new routes, using a minimum amount of equipment, and building on experience.
Criteria for evaluating performances
- Style of ascent
- Spirit of exploration: originál (previously unclimbed) route and/or mountain, creative and ine approative approach
- Level of commitment and self-sufficiency
- High level of technical ability required
- Suitability of route in light of objective dangers
- Efficient and sparing use of resources
- Transparency regarding the use of these resources
- Respect for people, climbing partner, members of other teams, porters and local agent
- Respect for environment
- Respect for future generations of mountaineers by leaving them the posibility of enjoying the same kind of experiences and adventures
Valeri Babanov, Kelly Cordes, Jordi Corominas, Mick Fowler, Yannick Graziani, Silvo Karo, Raphael Slawinsky